- Legal Expert News
- Law Firm News
- Career News
- Headline News
- Blog News
- Local Court News
- Court Watch
- Legal Interview
- Topics in Legal News
- Press Release
- Politics & Legal
- Market News
- Court asked to dismiss cases tied to ex-drug lab chemist
- Kenya Supreme Court says why it annulled presidential poll
- California hits Gatorade in court for "anti-water" videogame
- Court: Utility, not gov't responsible for Fukushima disaster
- Ohio court sets 2022 execution date for Cleveland killer
- Otter appoints new justice to Idaho Supreme Court
- Dispute over rights to Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan goes to court
- S. Korean court says worker's rare disease linked to Samsung
- Court: Cherokee Freedmen have right to tribal citizenship
- Indiana high court hearing appeal in children's fire deaths
Obama said he shared his worries with Polish President Andrzej Duda in a one-on-one meeting before the opening of a NATO summit in Warsaw.
"I expressed to President Duda our concerns about certain actions and the impasse around Poland's constitutional tribunal," Obama told reporters. "I insisted that we are very respectful of Poland's sovereignty and I recognized that parliament is working on legislation to take important steps but more needs to be done."
Poland has been stuck for months in controversy over the 15-member Constitutional Tribunal, a body that rules on the constitutionality of legislation, playing a role similar to that of the U.S. Supreme Court. The dispute concerns both appointments to the court and the rules that govern how it functions.
Opponents say the government's actions undermine democracy and have held several large street protests in recent months. The government's leaders say it is only trying to correct an imbalance, with appointments by the previous centrist government dominating the court.
Legal News Media
Legal News is the top headline legal news provider for lawyers and legalprofessionals. Read law articles and breaking news from law firm's across the United States to get the latest updates. We reserve the right, at our discretion, to change, modify, add, or remove portions of the site at any time. Your This site is solely for your personal use. You are, of course, welcome to print or otherwise copy material from this site for your personal use. However, you may not distribute, exchange, modify, sell or transmit anything you copy from this Site, including but not limited to any text, images, audio and video, for any business, commercial or public purpose. Any unauthorized use of the text, images, audio and video may violate copyright laws, trademark laws, the laws of privacy and publicity and civil and criminal statutes.